NEWS & UPDATES

Kashi Artists-in-Residence

Kashi Art Gallery in collaboration with Kochi Biennale Foundation announces the artists-in-residence for this year, Vagaram Choudhary and Natallia Bahushevich They have begun working at the Kashi space in Fort Kochi. For more images and information, visit the Kashi...

Conference: Metaphysics & Politics

The Annual Conference on Metaphysics & Politics ran from July 12-15, 2018. The conference, organised by the Backwaters Collective and funded by the Kochi Biennale Foundation, included eminent scholars and performers such as Ashis Nandy, Ajay Skaria, Venkat Rao, V...

South Indian Bank Supports KBF

Left to Right: KBF Treasurer Bonny Thomas, KBF Secretary Riyas Komu, KBF President Bose Krishnamachari, SIB CEO & Managing Director V G Mathew, SIB CIO T J Raphael South Indian Bank has pledged Rs. 1 crore in support of the fourth edition of the Kochi-Muziris...

Masterclass Open Studios

Our Master Practice Studios with renowned sculptor Valsan Koorma Kolleri has come to an end, but you can still catch the students’ (and Valsan’s) work at Pepper House, Fort Kochi, until Sunday, July 8.
Opening Hours: 10 am – 7 pm
Some snippets of the workshop…

Apply: Workshop with T V Santosh

Kochi Biennale Foundation invites applications for an intensive painting workshop with renowned artist T V Santosh. This is part of Kochi Biennale Foundation’s Master Practice Studios series, where selected applicants will have a month to expand and reflect on...

ARTISTS ANNOUNCED

AERNOUT MIK
AKRAM ZAATARI
ANNU PALAKUNNATHU MATTHEW
ARAYA RASDJARMREARNSOOK
B V SURESH
BARTHÉLÉMY TOGUO
E B ITSO
GOSHKA MACUGA
GUERILLA GIRLS
HERI DONO
INES DOUJAK + JOHN BARKER
JITISH KALLAT
JUN NGUYEN-HATSUSHIBA
MADHVI PAREKH
MARLENE DUMAS
NILIMA SHEIKH
PANGROK SULAP
P R SATHEESH

ARTISTS

PRABHAKAR PACHPUTE
RANA HAMADEH
RINA BANERJEE
SANTU MOFOKENG
SHILPA GUPTA
SHIRIN NESHAT
SHUBIGI RAO
SONG DONG
SUE WILLIAMSON
SUNIL GUPTA + CHARAN SINGH
TANIA BRUGUERA
THOMAS HIRSCHHORN
VALIE EXPORT
VIPIN DHANURDHARAN
VIVIAN CACCURI
WALID RAAD
WILLIAM KENTRIDGE

VENUES

none
Aspinwall House
aspinwall
Aspinwall House is a large sea-facing property in Fort Kochi on the way to Mattancherry. The property was originally the business premises of Aspinwall & Company Ltd established in 1867 by English trader John H Aspinwall. Under his leadership the company traded in coconut oil, pepper, timber, lemon grass oil, ginger, turmeric, spices, hides and later in coir, coffee, tea and rubber. The large compound contains office buildings, a residential bungalow and a number of warehouses and smaller outer-lying structures. A primary venue for the Biennale, Aspinwall has been loaned to Kochi-Muziris Biennale by DLF Limited in association with the Gujral Foundation.
Pepper House
5-pepper-house-9
Pepper House is a waterfront heritage property located on Kalvathi Road in between Fort Kochi and Bazar Road. The building consists of two historic ‘godowns’ (an Indian word for a dockside warehouse), one facing the street and another overlooking the waterfront. These large, two-story buildings with Dutch style clay roofs are separated by a large courtyard which would have once been used for storing goods waiting to be loaded onto ships in the harbour. The sixteen thousand square feet Pepper House complex was renovated and currently houses a courtyard cafe, visual arts library, gallery, studios for artist residencies and event spaces.
Kashi Art Cafe
6-kashi-cafe-1
An old Dutch property converted into a cafe by Anoop Scaria and Dorrie Younger, Kashi Art Cafe opened in 1997 with an exhibition by C V Ramesh. Over the years since then, Kashi Art Cafe has become the hub of Kochi’s contemporary art scene. The Cafe contains a permanent collection of artworks including those of Christina Mamakos, K S Radhakrishnan, Pradeep Naik and Riyas Komu.
Cabral Yard
cabral2
Towards the end of the 19th century Aspinwall & Company began trading in coir. In 1904 the company acquired the Cabral Yard property on which they constructed a hydraulic press for coir yarn. The property gets its name from Portuguese navigator Cabral, who made the first shipment of merchandise from Cochin in 1500 AD.
David Hall
David Hall
Named after David Koder, a Jewish businessman who resided here with his family, David Hall is a Dutch bungalow built around 1695 by the Dutch East India Company, located on the north side of Parade Ground in Fort Kochi. It is believed that the property was used to accommodate military personnel during the Dutch occupation. Since 2007 the building has been leased by CNO India to CGH Earth, an ecologically conscious hotel group. David Hall is currently an art gallery and cafe, and regularly hosts a variety of collateral events in the garden at the rear of the property.